Wednesday, May 30, 2012

the staycation

How we spent our Memorial Day weekend. At home. Well, mostly.



Friday, on horseback! No joke.

Though in hindsight, I was dubious of Kensington Stables and now I know I had every right to be. Instruction was... Minimal? Even though we stressed our inexperience. I also suspect my horse may have been taking it's last labored steps and I was being to wonder how one safely jumps from a falling horse. Not to mention R's horse careening towards school children while he shouted, "Move the children!" at the dumbfounded teachers. Sadly, I have no photos of Rire on his trusty steed Tinkerbelle, and that will forever be one of my biggest regrets. In true staycation style, we also watched plenty of TV (notably, Art of the Steal and Skins - Netflix, I love you).

Saturday

After a slow start I rallied and went for a 4 mile run. I felt vaguely guilty when I passed the horses. They don't look thrilled to be shuffling along with clueless urbanites on their backs and who can blame them? I think I need to find a better stable.

We headed to Fort Tilden in the afternoon, settling in just in time for it to cloud over and turn chilly. Our timing was flawless. Back home we went, to watch more Skins. Don't underestimate the allure of British teen drama.






Sunday, road trip!


Our old standby, Minnewaska State Park. We hiked a route we've run a number of times. Final conclusion? Running 10 is easier than hiking 10. In fact running 13.1 is easier. It takes a fraction of the time. But the upside of hiking?  I can stop and takes photos along the way.







All that endless hiking requires lots of food.  Menus must be studied with utmost care. Is it bad that I eat the same amount as my 6'2" husband?


Monday quiet, nice. Another run and a bit of wandering in the city. Low key, to slowly ease back into the work week.

2 comments:

  1. That park is gorgeous . . . much better than our trip to Pixley Falls (though it to is lovely :)

    ReplyDelete